Visit The Flying Midget's Favorite DC Coffee Shop at www.PoundCoffee.com

Monday, January 9, 2012

I'm Back!!

Well sort of. After a rough couple of months, 18 to be exact, dealing with mono then thyroid problems and chronic fatigue issues I finally feel like I am getting my energy back. The biggest indicator of how I’m feeling is my motivation level. After getting mono I couldn’t get motivated for any physical activity.


Being this late into the cycling training season I do not feel as though I would be very competitive in the elite field for 2012 and getting dropped from races would not be the best motivator to getting back in the swing of things. Plus I’m still 20 pounds above race weight and I have already lost 14 from when I was sick. So I decided I would give running a shot.


I have been tossing around the idea of running a marathon for about a month now and have made a couple of runs and actually felt good. I have never run more than 10 miles but I think the years of cycling should help. Plus I’m not looking to set any records just get back into shape, and why not be able to say that I’ve done a marathon while I’m at it.


So I purchased what looked to be the top marathon training guide on amazon, Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon. In the book the author makes the claim that anyone who can run 3 mile a couple of days a week can finish a marathon using his training plan. The plan is 18 weeks long and as luck would have it there is a marathon exactly 18 weeks after I bought the book. There is also a half-marathon on the exact day he recommends doing one as a stepping stone to the full. Is it a sign?


I figured I would get back into writing a blog mainly for my own amusement. Not that I get a kick out of writing them but nothing is more fun than looking back at my old posts and seeing how ignorant I was. I look back at my cycling post and get a kick out of the shit I wrote and how little I really knew.


I plan on writing weekly but might occasionally post more or less.









Week 1’s training plan
MondayRest
Tuesday3-mile run
Wednesday3-mile run
Thursday3-mile run
FridayRest
Saturday6-mile run
SundayCross train



Starting weight 164
No aches or pains starting the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment